API Equality-LA – Los Angeles, CA
The Director will oversee the work and growth of the organization, including fund development, the development and implementation of its short and long-term strategic work plan, and support for various administrative and programmatic functions with emphases in the areas of public education, outreach and recruitment , community organizing, leadership development, and communications and various media projects. The Director will work closely with the Steering Committee and Co-Chairs in carrying out these responsibilities and will be responsible for the overall functioning of the organization, including the supervision of staff, interns, or other volunteers. The Director will also serve as a spokesperson to media, help maintain external relations, represent APIELA in coalition efforts, and oversee volunteer recruitment.
API Equality-LA is a grassroots coalition that works to advance the civil rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities through organizing, leadership development, public education and advocacy. API Equality-LA’s mission is to advocate for LGBT rights and marriage equality, focusing on the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) communities. API Equality-LA is fiscally sponsored by Asian American Advancing Justice – Los Angeles and is funded through various private resources and foundations.
- Manage, implement, and update the strategic plan Work closely with the co-chairs and all committees to ensure the short/long-term goals and objectives of the organization are fulfilled
- Oversee volunteer recruitment strategies, orientation, and management in concert with staff and committees.
- Supervise staff, interns, and volunteers
- Fiscal (budget and cash flow) and grant management (proposals and reports) of the organization
- Attend coalition-related events as its representative and spokesperson of the organization, if appropriate, including but not limited to local, regional or national meetings /calls conferences.
- Work with the Fundraising Committee to carry out fundraising functions (donor liaison and cultivation, helping to plan fundraising events)
- Serve as the public face of API Equality LA, taking a lead role in press events and along with the Co-Chairs represent the organization to the media
- Develop trainings, workshops, curricula and other resources and research to build grassroots leadership and support organizational priorities
- Assists with cultivating and maintaining relationships with endorsing organizations, prominent individuals, and other stakeholders
- Solicit, strengthen, and solidify collaborative relations with coalition partners and/or other community groups, including developing relationships and collaborating on common projects.
- Develop and nurture members and leaders of the organization ( including Steering Committee and committee chairs)
- Facilitate meetings/discussions as needed Assist Committee Co-chairs with committee activities, as needed
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the coalition Other responsibilities per discussions with the Co-Chairs and Steering Committee
- College Degree with classes in social welfare, public policy or related field and/or minimum three years program leadership, and community organizing and/ or social services experience.
- Minimum of three years experience in supervisory or leadership position in a program or organization .
- Excellent management skills, including facilitation of strategic planning process, prioritization of work, budget and people management
- Knowledge, contacts and experience working with the Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) and/or the LGBT communities in Los Angeles
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, grant-writing, developing and implementing budgets, and overseeing the financial operations of a program or organization
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with coalition partners and with diverse communities and organizations Experience with strategic planning, campaign planning and/or organizational development
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and interest in advocacy and public policy
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking skills Ability to work independently and is a self-starter
- Ability to multi-task and operate efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment Ability to work well with diverse personalities and work styles
- Pleasant and professional demeanor
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Database management software, internet, e-mail and social media.
- Ability to travel occasionally Proof of United States work eligibility
- Graduate education or degree in relevant area such as social welfare, public policy, public administration, or law
- Experience leading community organizing campaigns and/or conducting voter education efforts
- Bilingual in an AANHPI language
- Communications experience (e.g., press kit development, media advisory /release writing, website development and/or maintenance skills, message research process , social media )
TO APPLY: Send Cover Letter, Resume, List of 3 references, 2 Letters of Recommendation and a 1-2 page writing sample to: or Eileen Ma, API Equality-LA, 1137 Wilshire Blvd. LA CA 90017. Applications will be accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 20, 2015 The post Executive Director API Equality LA appeared first on Seasons of Pride. Media Provided by the GayWebSource.com - Gay News & Press Network.
To republish this post please visit Executive Director API Equality LA